The Sanctuary of St. Elias-in-the Mount (contd...)

  1. The Main Chapel:

    The Main Chapel is the most recent part and the first to be reached by the visitors as they come down the long stairs leading from the top of the Mount to the Sanctuary with more than 200 steps. We do not know exactly when the original parts of this Chapel were built. As for the dates mentioned on memorial marble plates on the wall, they only indicate the year of restoration. Above the door of the Main Chapel, there is a plate bearing the following inscription:

    "Dedicated to the prophet St. Elias the Living, this blessed Sanctuary was built during the tenure of His Beatitude Kyr Gregory I* Youssef in 1897 AD. The building cost was covered by donations from benefactors under the initiative of the Patriarchal Diocese trustee Ibrahim Georgy Shawy."

    *The Patriarch at that time was actually Gregory II Youssef Sayour, 14th Melkite Patriarch (1864-1897).

    The Main Chapel is used to celebrate the Divine Liturgy at least once a month, usually on the first Friday of the month; on July 20, feast of St. Elias; on June 14, feast of St. Elisha, his successor. Many baptisms are celebrated in the sanctuary during the summer in fulfillment of special vows.

    The Lord said to Elijah: "Go, take the road back to the desert near Damascus..." (1 Kings 19 : 15).

    We know from this verse of the Bible that St. Elias came to this area. In 2 Kings 8: 7, it is also reported that Elisha who succeeded St. Elias, visited Damascus.

    The whole region has been sanctified by their presence.

مقام مار الياس الحيّ
(تابع)

  1. المعبد الرئيسي

    هو أحدث الأقسام عهدًا وأول ما يشاهده الزائر عند دخوله المقام . لكن ينبغي عليه اولا أن ينحدر من قمة الجبل بدرج طويل يتألف من أكثر من مئتي درجة. لا نعلم بالضبط متى تم البناء الأول لهذا لمعبد. اما الكتابة المنقوشة على اللوحات التذكارية الرخامية فتشير إلى تواريخ الترميمات. ومنها اللوحة القائمة فوق الباب الخارجي للمقام وقد كتب عليها ما يلي:


    "في عهد سعيد الذِّكر الحَبر العلاّمة المفضال كيريوس كيريوس غريغوريوس يوسف الأوّل* بنيت هذه الكنيسة العامرة للنبي إيليّا الحيّ من مال المحسنين بسعي وكيل الوقف إبراهيم جرجي الشّاوي سنة ١٨٩٧ مسيحيّة."

    * هنالك خطأ في الاسم. فالبطريرك في ذلك العهد كان المثلث الرحمة غريغوريوس الثاني يوسف سيور. وهو البطريرك الملكي الرابع عشر (١٨٦٤ - ١٨٩٧)

    يُستعمَل هذا المعبد الرئيسي لإقامة القداس الإلهي لا أقل من مرة في الشهر، عادة أول يوم جمعة من الشهر. وفي العشرين من تموز / يوليو للاحتفال بعيد صاحب المقام مار الياس. وفي الرابع عشر من حزيران/يونيو عيد النبي أليشع خليفة مار الياس في النبوة . وهنا أيضًا يتم الاحتفال بتعميد الأطفال المنذورين، خاصة في فترة الصيف.

    "قال الرب لإيليا اذهب في طريقك إلى برية دمشق." (١ ملوك ١٩ : ١٥)

    لنا في هذه الآية دليل قاطع على أن مارالياس وصل إلى هذه المنطقة.

    كما جاء في سفر الملوك الثاني (٨ : ٧) ان النبي أليشع خليفة مار الياس زار هو أيضا دمشق. فتقدست المنطقة كلها بحضورهما.

 
Page 5
صفحة ٥
About Us (مَن نحن؟) webmaster@maarratsednaya.com